EPA recently developed several publications summarizing published science about contamination in food waste streams, the effects of this contamination on composting and anaerobic digestion (two common ways to recycle food waste), and potential risks to human health and the environment of applying compost or digestate (the product from anaerobic digestion) made from food waste streams to land as soil amendments.
- Emerging Issues in Food Waste Management: Persistent Chemical Contaminants
- Emerging Issues in Food Waste Management: Plastic Contamination
- Overview: Emerging Issue in Food Waste Persistent Chemical and Plastic Contamination
- Emerging Issues in Food Waste Management: Commercial Pre-Processing Technologies
- Overview: Commercial Pre-Processing Technologies
For more information and links to additional studies, visit EPA’s Food Waste Research page.