Use science to help transform the climate conversation. Climate Central seeks a highly motivated, creative, mid- to senior-level natural or social scientist to play a major role in our most ambitious effort to date. The mission: to make accurate and effective climate communications ubiquitous.
You will spearhead a strategic effort to build an unprecedented library of ways to link diverse local observations and events to climate science, impacts, and solutions for dissemination to social media, journalists, and other key messengers, in near real-time. Other audiences will include public and private decision-makers. This work will require efficient identification of authoritative literature in fields across the natural and social sciences; a nose for significant emerging science; and active research collaboration in high-value cases. Robust engagement with a broad research community will be critical.
About Climate Central
Climate Central is an independent group of scientists and science translators who research and report the facts about our changing climate and how it affects people’s lives. We use science, big data, and tech to generate thousands of local storylines and compelling visuals that make climate change relevant and show what can be done about it. We address climate science, sea level rise, extreme weather, energy, and related topics. We collaborate nationwide with TV meteorologists, journalists, and other respected messengers, reaching broad audiences through local voices. Our programs spurred more than 3,500 TV spots in the U.S. in 2019. Media have covered our global sea level research, maps, and imagery in well over 100 nations. We see major and timely opportunities to continue to grow our impact.
- Provide scientific leadership and inputs for a major new initiative leveraging technology to deliver compelling climate content to the right people at the right time in the right place, again and again
- Support all Climate Central programs providing science-based content and context to broadcast meteorologists, journalists, and other key amplifiers, plus decision-makers and clients
- Identify authoritative recent research and datasets to inform effective local communications
- Track, advise, and participate in key relevant emerging research
- Conduct high-priority research and analysis
- Advise and participate in translation of science to broadly accessible words and visuals
- Engage with outside scientists in a diverse variety of fields
- Represent Climate Central in the media and in external meetings and conferences
- Ph.D. in a relevant natural or social science plus more than 10 years of research experience
- Fast learner comfortable at identifying authoritative information and at working in new areas
- Wide familiarity with literatures on climate science, impacts, and solutions
- High creativity; able to find relevant science, stories, and climate connections in unexpected places
- Highly productive and able to handle multiple concurrent initiatives
- Excellent analytical and communication skills including for lay audiences
- Driven to impact the climate conversation and to pursue a work agenda shaped accordingly
- Able to travel and extend work hours for critical priorities
- Good interpersonal skills
Additional qualifications. Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Prior experience interacting effectively with media and public audiences
- Strong data science and/or data visualization skills
- Familiarity with localizable health impacts, economic impacts, and/or solutions
Climate Central’s headquarters are in Princeton, N.J. A meaningful amount of presence at headquarters will be important, but partial-time remote work is an option for this position.
Compensation is competitive, with generous benefits.
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter including salary expectations; your resume; and contact information for three references familiar with your work, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the exact subject line, “Climate Scientist” (no quotes). Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. The search will close when a successful candidate is recruited.