The Prairie Research Institute (PRI), a research and service institute of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign centrally located between Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis, houses five large scientific surveys covering a wide range of expertise including biology, water resources, climate, geology, sustainable technology, and archaeology. PRI’s mission is to provide objective, integrated scientific research and service that allow citizens and decision-makers to make choices that ensure sustainable economic development, enduring environmental quality, and cultural resource preservation for the people, businesses, and governments of Illinois. Learn more at go.illinois.edu/PRIjobs.
PRI is seeking to hire a Strategic Content Specialist to develop plans for and carry out strategic marketing and communications solutions to effectively reach Prairie Research Institute’s (PRI’s) internal and external stakeholders.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write and edit content (including media releases, website content, newsletters, printed materials, etc.) that effectively conveys the PRI story to diverse audiences.
- Create social media campaigns, schedules, graphics, and posts, and track social media metrics.
- Ensure high quality, scientific accuracy, and appropriate voice and tone of all content.
Communication Planning and Development
- Identify develop content strategies for PRI and its major units/programs based on organization’s strategic priorities and audience analysis.
- Advise teams within PRI on content strategy.
- Build and maintain relationships with PRI staff, including timely and effective communication about project requirements, deliverables, and timelines.
- Analyze and measure effectiveness and impact of communication efforts.
- Perform other duties as needed in order to further the mission and goals of PRI.
- Keep abreast of trends, techniques, and tools in strategic communication, marketing, advancement, social media, and other relevant areas.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, English/rhetoric, or a related discipline. One (1) year of experience managing social media for an organization. Experience writing articles, social media posts, press releases, etc.
Preferred: Experience working in a university or non-profit setting. Experience writing about archaeology, geology, sustainability, and/or the natural world, or other scientific topics.
Successful candidates will have effective communication, personal relations, collaboration, organization, teamwork, and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a diverse and fast-paced work environment, consisting of multiple and changing priorities with stringent deadlines, under minimal supervision. Attention to detail, sound judgment, and strong conflict resolution skills. Proficiency in commonly employed software.
Appointment: This is a full-time Civil Service Marketing Associate position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The starting date is negotiable and salary is commensurate with experience.
Application: Applications must be received by April 2, 2019. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button here. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Megan Weeks at email@example.com or 217-244-4768. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.