Webinar: Infusing Sustainability Principles and Practices into Study Abroad

January 17 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm CST Register at http://www.aashe.org/calendar/sustainability-study-abroad/ As colleges and universities simultaneously promote both sustainability and study abroad, it is vitally important to ensure that these initiatives are working in harmony. Infusing sustainability principles and practices into study abroad programs can enable us to maximize the benefits of study abroad while also generating meaningful …

Webinar: Uncovering Risk in the Voluntary Carbon Market

January 31 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm CST Register at http://www.aashe.org/calendar/voluntary-carbon-market/ Carbon offsets are often viewed by voluntary buyers as untrustworthy and providing little to no overall value to their core business. Six billion metric tons of carbon offsets trade annually, yet only 0.6% are traded voluntarily. The remaining 99.4% are traded in regulated ‘Cap and …

EPA Inspector General to audit Pruitt’s hiring

Read the full story from Greenwire. U.S. EPA's internal watchdog plans to review Administrator Scott Pruitt's use of a special hiring authority to fill top political jobs at the agency. In a notice dated yesterday, the EPA inspector general said it will begin "preliminary research" on the administrator office's use of its authority under the Safe Drinking …

Extreme hurricanes and wildfires made 2017 the most costly U.S. disaster year on record

Read the full story in the Washington Post. Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria combined with devastating Western wildfires and other natural catastrophes to make 2017 the most expensive year on record for disasters in the United States, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported Monday.

Fighting Climate Change, One Laundry Load at a Time

Read the full story in the New York Times. A Danish biotechnology company is trying to fight climate change — one laundry load at a time. Its secret weapon: mushrooms like those in a dormant forest outside Copenhagen. In the quest for a more environmentally friendly detergent, two scientists at the company, Novozymes, regularly trudge …

University of California Santa Barbara releases Food Recovery Program Safety & Operations Guide

Download the document. This document provides the guidelines for a food recovery program at UCSB. Aiming to reduce food waste and food insecurity for UCSB students, this project will be run by a registered student organization (RSO) - FoodCycling, in association with the AS Food Bank or Miramar Pantry and the University Center.