Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) has extensive refining, marketing, and transportation operations concentrated primarily in the Midwest, Northeast, East Coast, Gulf Coast, and Southeast regions of the United States. MPC is the third-largest refiner in the U.S. and the largest in the Midwest. The Robinson refinery, also known as the Illinois Refining Division (IRD), is located in Robinson, Illinois, has a crude oil refining capacity of approximately 231,000 barrels per calendar day and encompasses approximately 920 acres.
MPC improved the environmental impact of their operations by:
- reducing solid waste by 2,038 tons;
- conserving 3,000,000 gallons of water;
- diverting 393 tons household hazardous waste from landfills;
- eliminating 18,972 metric tons of carbon dioxide; and
- restoring 247 acres of certified wildlife habitat.