The Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Indian Energy Policy and Programs (Office of Indian Energy) intends to issue a Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) in February, 2016 entitled “Establishment of an Inter-Tribal Technical Assistance Energy Providers Network”.
Through this planned FOA, the Office of Indian Energy will continue its efforts to maximize the development and deployment of energy solutions for the benefit of American Indians and Alaska Natives and together, with “inter-tribal organizations”, intends to provide tribal communities and Alaska Native villages the knowledge, skills, and resources needed to implement successful strategic energy solutions.
It is envisioned that “inter-tribal organizations” will structure their technical assistance to best meet the needs of their member Indian tribes and/or Alaska Native villages, resulting in clear measurable outcomes or end-products that include a plan to become financially sufficient beyond DOE’s Office of Indian Energy funding.
As part of these inter-tribal regional programs, it is envisioned that energy experts would:
- Coordinate energy solutions among participating Indian Tribes (including Alaska Native regional corporations and village corporations);
- Network with regional and national energy organizations;
- Deliver technical assistance to participating Indian Tribes (including Alaska Native regional corporations and village corporations) within the region;
- Build the human capacity of participating Indian Tribes (including Alaska Native regional corporations and village corporations) by providing information to Tribal leaders and staff through workshops or webinars;
- Serve as an information clearinghouse;
- Advise DOE’s Office of Indian Energy on the energy goals and needs within their region; and
- Enhance DOE’s technical assistance network across Indian Country.
NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED THROUGH THIS NOTICE. Please do not submit questions or respond to this Notice of Intent. Prospective applicants to the FOA should begin developing partnerships, formulating ideas, and gathering data in anticipation of the issuance of this FOA. DOE plans to issue the FOA in or around the first calendar quarter in 2016.
The full notice of intent is available here.