To apply, go to www.lanl.gov and select the career link. The job number is IRC42840.
Applications accepted through September 21, 2015.
What You Will Do
The Environmental Stewardship Services Group in the Environmental Protection Division is responsible for providing pollution prevention (P2) services across the Los Alamos National Laboratory programmatic work and operations. The Laboratory takes a multi-media approach to pollution prevention by developing and implementing projects that reduce impacts to all types of environmental issues including waste, water and air quality, materials use and management, green procurement, and resource conservation. This position will be a member of the Environmental Protection Division, Environmental Stewardship Services Group. Job duties will include:
- Conducting pollution prevention opportunity assessments for potential reductions in waste, effluent, emissions, energy use, water use, resource use and materials management
- Working within facilities to reduce environmental impact from operations and facility support processes
- Providing technical support to waste generators and waste management operations to identify opportunities to eliminate or minimize waste streams, waste volumes, and/or waste toxicity characteristics
- Providing technical support for LANL’s High Performance Sustainable Buildings program
- Providing technical support for LANL’s recycling and re-use programs
Supporting development and implementation of P2 initiatives targeting near and long-term environmental goals and objectives
- Supporting execution of the LANL P2 awards program, and Federal environmental sustainability award programs
- Providing presentations, as required, on various P2 topics to Lab organizations to communicate requirements and explain initiatives
- Providing technical support for Lean/Six Sigma, and other management directed process improvement projects
- Reporting on P2 program activities to management
- Providing technical support for compliance programs, including participation in internal and external audit & assessments
- Providing technical support for implementation of the LANL Site Sustainability Plan in accordance with DOE Order 436.1
- Providing support for annual reports (i.e., Site Sustainability Plan, New Mexico Environment Department MED Hazardous Waste Mininmization Plan, etc)
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with implementation of pollution prevention techniques
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with structured process analysis and improvement techniques (Lean/Six Sigma, Design for Environment, Lean and Green Manufacturing, or others)
- Advanced knowledge of and experience in several of the following areas: environmental compliance, sustainability, resource use efficiency, green chemistry, green procurement, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
- Knowledge of and experience with managing or operating facility support equipment such as chillers, boilers, cooling towers and other ancillary support processes
- Demonstrated excellent report writing skills and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience organizing and performing activities requiring substantial planning and team interactions with diverse types of individuals.
- Ability to obtain a Q clearance.
- Knowledge of and experience with DOE/NNSA environmental programs, environmental risks and compliance issues and environmental scope of work
- Advanced knowledge of Lean/Six Sigma, Design for Environment, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) tools and techniques
- Demonstrated self-initiating, communicative work style with very strong interpersonal and collaborative-work capabilities
Bachelor’s degree or graduate degree in engineering, environmental science or related/relevant field, plus eight (8) years or more direct experience working in an environmental field or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Engineering degree preferred.
Notes to Applicants
There are no routine travel requirements associated with this position other than occasional professional meetings and training. Required application materials (e.g., writing samples). Please provide a writing sample with this application.
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
This position is located in the Environmental Protection Division Environmental Stewardship Services group. This group provides stewardships services for biological and cultural resources management, Natural Resources Damage Assessment, the Long Term Strategy for Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability, integrated project review, pollution prevention, environmental management system, environmental health physics, soil, foodstuffs and biota monitoring, National Environmental Policy Act EPA and SWEIS. This is a diverse and dynamic group and this position will work closely with these different programs on a regular basis.