On Tuesday, April 10, 2012, join EPA’s Office of Sustainable Communities, Mayor Chris Koos and Town Planner Mercy Davison from Normal, Illinois to discuss how the city solved a tricky traffic problem by creating a vibrant, environmentally friendly public space. The Uptown Normal Roundabout is the 2011 Civic Places category winner for EPA’s National Award for Smart Growth Achievement. This webinar will focus on:
- The design of the roundabout, which manages traffic while creating inviting public space and employing landscape design techniques to capture stormwater runoff.
- Barriers faced by the city in implementing the project.
- How the roundabout helped transform a problem traffic area into a popular downtown destination.
Note that the application period for the 2012 National Award for Smart Growth Achievement is open through April 6. Public- and private-sector entities that have successfully used smart growth principles to improve their communities are encouraged to apply. Learn more at EPA’s Smart Growth Awards page.
- Tuesday, April 10, 2012
- 3:00-4:00 pm EDT
- To join this webinar, go to the webinar page and join as “Guest.” No pre-registration is required.
- Participants must also phone in using the call-in details below. Audio is not available through the webinar.
- Conference Number: (866) 299-3188; Participant Code: 2025662950