The Strategic Environmental Research and Development Program (SERDP) and the Environmental Security Technology Certification Program (ESTCP) will hold the annual Partners in Environmental Technology Technical Symposium & Workshop, “Meeting DoD’s Environmental Challenges,” November 29 – December 1, 2011, at the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C. This nationally recognized conference focuses on the Department of Defense’s (DoD) priority environmental issues. The approximately 1,200 attendees span the military Services; academic and research institutions; private sector technology and environmental firms; and Federal, state, and local regulatory and policy making organizations.
This year’s Symposium & Workshop will offer a dynamic opening Plenary Session, 15 technical sessions, four short courses, and more than 450 technical poster presentations, and exhibitors from funding and partnering organizations. Technical sessions will highlight research and innovative technologies that assist DoD in addressing increasingly complex environmental and mission sustainability challenges. Short courses on select technologies and alternative approaches in the environmental restoration and munitions response areas will offer unique training on recent advances in science and technology.
Technical Sessions: This year’s comprehensive technical program will offer sessions on the topics below.
- Energy Management and Technologies for DoD Buildings
- Renewable Energy on DoD Installations
- Microgrids for Energy Security on DoD Installations
- Challenges to Military Readiness Posed by Climate Change
- Pacific Island Restoration Challenges
- Role of Fire in the Carbon Cycle under Climate Change
- Incorporating Innovative Technologies to Meet DoD Restoration Goals from Remedy in Place to Response Complete
- Environmental Molecular Diagnostic Tools: Innovations and Applications
- Improving Our Understanding of the Impact of Contaminants Stored in Low Permeability Zones
- Best Management Practices for Controlling Munitions Constituents on Operational Ranges
- Classification Applied to Munitions Response – Development
- Classification Applied to Munitions Response – Production Applications
- National and International Regulatory Impacts on DoD Operations: Refining the Goals of DoD’s Strategic Plan for ‘REACH’
- Next Generation Energetic Materials – Striking a Balance between Performance, Insensitivity, and Environmental Sustainability
- Impact of Particulate Emissions from Gas Turbine Powered Aircraft
Short Courses: Four short courses will be offered for which Professional Development Hours will be available. Attendance for these courses will be limited, and space will be available on a first-come first-serve basis. Therefore, registration for each short course will be required for you to attend. Below are this year’s short courses.
- Estimating DNAPL Source Zone Natural Attenuation
- Thermal Treatment Technologies: Lessons Learned
- Implementing Classification on a Munitions Response Project
- Field Methods to Distinguish between Vapor Intrusion and Indoor Sources of VOCs
For additional information, please visit www.serdp-estcp.org/symposium, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Symposium Contact Line at (703) 736-4548.