Nineteen Illinois companies and organizations were honored October 27 for their demonstrated leadership in implementing sustainable principles and practices. The Governor’s Sustainability Awards, the “Emmy Awards for Sustainability,” were presented by the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center (ISTC) during a ceremony in Chicago. ISTC is a unit of the Prairie Research Institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Since 1987, ISTC has presented Governor’s Awards to organizations in Illinois that have demonstrated a commitment to environmental excellence through outstanding and innovative sustainability practices. Any Illinois public or private organization is eligible to apply for the award. Winners are selected through a rigorous process of review and examination by ISTC technical assistance experts.
“Businesses that invest in sustainability drive a thriving Illinois economy by creating jobs and making an investment in our future,” said Governor Rauner. “The Governor’s Sustainability Awards foster sustainable innovation and encourage our public and private sector to build a stronger, more sustainable Illinois.”
Sustainable economic growth is essential to the long-term competitiveness of the state, according to ISTC Director Kevin O’Brien. “These awards demonstrate that you can preserve natural and cultural resources and simultaneously grow your business,” he said. “That is why this award is very critical. It demonstrates it can be done, it’s being done in Illinois, and it is what sets us apart as Illinoisans.”
The complete list of 2015 award winners is listed below.
2015 Governor’s Sustainability Award Winners
- Abbot Laboratories – Abbot Park
- Abbie Inc. – North Chicago
- Argonne National Laboratory – Lemont
- Caterpillar – Morton Parts Distribution Center
- Clarke – St. Charles
- ComEd – Oak Brook Terrace
- Cook County – Chicago*
- Golden State Foods Chicago – McCook*
- Griffith Laboratories – Alsip*
- Hoffer Plastics Corporation – South Elgin*
- Illinois Tollway – Downers Grove
- J.L. Clark – Rockford
- John G. Shedd Aquarium – Chicago*
- McHenry County Government – Woodstock*
- Public Building Commission – Chicago*
- Saratoga Food Specialties – Bolingbrook*
- Silgan Containers Manufacturing Corporation – Rochelle*
- University Housing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign*
- Western Illinois University – Macomb*
* Indicates a first-time winner of the Illinois Governor’s Sustainability Award.
Additional information on the Governor’s Sustainability Awards program, lists of previous winners, and information on technical assistance for Illinois companies and communities are available from the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center, One Hazelwood Drive, Champaign, IL 61820, phone (217) 333-8940, http://www.istc.illinois.edu/
To Request Photos of Winning Teams, please contact email@example.com