Alcoa Foundation today launched a two-year, $4 million initiative that funds 10 global sustainability research projects. The initiative, “Advancing Sustainability Research: Innovative Partnerships for Actionable Solutions,” will find answers to environmental issues that impact the quality of life and well-being of communities globally.
Researchers from 15 leading universities and nongovernmental organizations will investigate issues in natural resource management, materials science and engineering, sustainable design, energy and environmental economics in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Europe, Russia and the United States.
“Alcoa strives to address environmental issues within our operations, across our industry and within our communities,” said Paula Davis, president, Alcoa Foundation. “This research will be used as a tool to rally communities and thought leaders into action. Alcoa sustainability experts and volunteers will also work with our partners and communities to ensure that the research is used to inform public on corporate policy, new technologies, and methodologies that can be adapted and replicated by others. ”
The research will be completed in 2012 and 2013. Milestones and results will be published online, shared with the sustainability community and discussed and used among researchers, communities and stakeholders throughout the two years.
“Our vision is that the results of the Advancing Sustainability Research initiative will lead to widespread adoption of best practices in areas such as water management, energy production and carbon emissions that are critical to conservation,” said Davis.
The Alcoa Foundation Advancing Sustainability Research initiative will be managed by Alcoa Foundation and administered by the Institute of International Education.
Partners in the Advancing Sustainability Research: Innovative Partnerships for Actionable Solutions are:
Sustainable Land Use
- Greening Australia, Canberra
- University of Western Australia, Perth
- University of Adelaide, Adelaide
- CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences, Adelaide
- University of São Paulo, São Paulo
Life Cycle Assessment
- Interuniversity Research Centre for the Life Cycle of Products, Processes and Services (CIRAIG), Montréal
- China Center for International Economic Exchanges, Beijing
- Tsinghua University, Tsinghua
- University of Vigo, Vigo, Spain
- Economics for Energy, Vigo, Spain
Industrial Water Management
- Fund for Sustainable Development, Moscow
- Institute of Water Issues, Moscow
- Educational Center for Ecology and Safety, Samara
Lightweight Vehicle Structures
- The Ohio State University – Institute for Materials Research, Columbus, Ohio
New Mobility Solutions
- University of Michigan – Transportation Research Institute, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- SMART (Sustainable Mobility & Accessibility Research & Transformation), Ann Arbor, Michigan